Tuesday 9 October 2012

3% Chance of Godhood


Picture the scene: You're lounging on the sofa looking fabulous, having a casual conversation with your significant other/the cat/the dog/invisible friend. All of a sudden:

Me: "It was the dumbest thing I've seen this week. I wanted to slap her with a fish."
Television, CHIMING IN AT THE PRECISE MOMENT TO CREATE A CHORUS OF VIOLENCE: "...slap her with a fish."

I froze and looked around the room to see if anyone else had noticed. The dog was snoring and the cats were all more interested in the possibility that I might spontaneously transform into a cooked chicken.

I just hate it when that happens. It's not good for my ego. I mean, it's not good for keeping it a manageable size. More or less, I feel more sure that I am secretly controlling the world on some super-secret level of my brain - a level which is kept inaccessible to me because I don't handle power sensibly.

It's entirely possible that the God-portion of my brain is sometimes distracted by making a butterfly or the like and that's why things occasionally sync up and freak me out.

I mean, everyone gets distracted, even the God-portion of the brain. I know that when I'm writing something while the TV is on in the background, my non-God brain slowly tunes into the sound with insidious stealth until I finally realise I've been transcribing the evening news for a good ten minutes, and therefore dissolve into a mindless, murderous rage.

No comments:

Post a Comment